Trail History

The history of Quincy’s Greenways & Trails Plan dates back to the 1940’s when a plan was designed that would connect Quincy’s parks and green spaces in such a way that they would circle the city. Unfortunately, the plan was put aside until the idea was revisited by the city and park district in the late 1990’s.

In 1999, the Quincy City Council adopted the Quincy Greenways and Trails Plan, further enhancing the plan from the 1940’s version. New and more extensive plans have been drawn and enthusiasm has grown for the implementation of pathways and trails in and around Quincy. The plan identified twelve main corridors within the City of Quincy and surrounding area. The plan was prepared with input and support from the City of Quincy, Quincy Park District, Quincy Parks Foundation, John Wood Community College, Quincy University and the Quincy Bicycle Club.

In 2000, a Board of Directors was formed and Friends of the Trails was founded with the purpose of helping to see the trail plan become a reality. The group works closely with community members and leaders to help fulfill the dream of safe, convenient trails and pathways for all citizens to enjoy. In October 2000, Friends of the Trails was recognized as an Illinois not-for-profit organization and is a 501(c)3 organization. Since its inception, the Friends of the Trails has played an integral role in all aspects of development of the trail system.